Call for Nominations to the Selection Committee for the Associate Vice President Research Services
Wednesday, November 16, 20110 Comments
Reason for the Call – Dr. Steven Liss, formerly the Associate Vice President Research Services, has left the University of Guelph and therefore a Selection Committee must be struck. This is a call for nominations for the Senate-approved portion of a Selection Committee membership slate.
Membership of the Committee - The Review Committee is chaired by Vice-President Resarch Dr. Kevin Hall, and is composed as follows:
- The Dean of a College – appointed by the Provost
- One student – appointed by the Provost
- Three tenured faculty members (who may include Chairs and Directors) – approved by Senate as part of the membership slate
- One regular full-time staff member – approved by Senate as part of the membership slate.
Composition of the Slate - Once the nomination deadline has passed, the Senate Bylaws and Membership Committee will compose a slate using the Senate-approved Modus Operandi for the Selection of Members to Senate Committees and other Committees (enclosed).
In doing so, the Bylaws and Membership Committee will pay particular attention to the following factors in developing slates of candidates for committees:
1. diversity of membership, consistent with the University’s equity policies http://www.uoguelph.ca/hre/hr.shtml
2. expertise and background
3. evidence of commitment to the mandate of the committee
4. evidence of an ability to work in a consensus decision-making environment
While Bylaws prefers recommendations from a second party or group, self-nominations are accepted.
Making a Nomination - If you wish to recommend a faculty or staff member for this committee, please complete the attached form. The Bylaws and Membership Committee asks that you provide a short explanation as to the suitability of the candidate for this task with particular attention to the four factors identified above in the Modus Operandi.
In addition, before forwarding a recommendation, please ensure that the candidate is willing to serve if chosen. Nominations will also be accepted from the floor of Senate.
Deadline - The deadline for the submission of nominations is Tuesday, November 22, 2011, 4:00 p.m. Signed and completed forms should be returned to the University Secretariat, 4th floor, University Centre.