Moving out and subletting

Thursday, February 28, 2008


Written by Yi

Hey U of G off-campus students, it’s that time of the year again… while midterms and assignment due dates are lining up, is moving out and subletting also on your mind? Well, here is some useful information that may answer some your questions regarding moving out and subletting.

You do not have to move out just because your lease has expired (this is the case if you are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act, meaning you do not share a kitchen or bathroom with your landlord or his/her relative). Your tenancy continues on a month-to-month basis until you or your landlord does something to end it. Before you move out, you must give written notice to your landlord before the termination date. If you pay your rent by the day or the week, you must give at least 28 days’ notice, if you pay your rent by the month, or you have a tenancy agreement for a fixed period of time, you must give at least 60 days’ notice.

Trying to sublet your house for the summer? Subletting means you are renting your unit to someone else at the same rate or less than what you pay. Keep in mind, when you sublet your place, as the tenant who signed the lease, you are still responsible for making sure the terms of the lease are met. Landlord’s consent is needed before you can sublet, and your landlord cannot arbitrarily turn down a sub-tenant.

You can post your room sublet with Off-Campus Housing for FREE*. You just need to take your Student ID to the Off-Campus Housing desk on the third level of the UC to provide staff with the information to create your website listing.

*Free for students who are not owners and who are not related to the owner

For more information, please visit the landlord tenant board:
Landlord Tenant Board of Ontario
or, off-campus living office:
located on the 3rd floor of the UC

| More


Back to Top

No comments

Share your thoughts

Bookstore First Year