Going away on Business
Wednesday, August 1, 200714 Comments
The OFS meeting is an opportunity for new initiatives and organizational changes to be proposed to representatives of Universities and Colleges from across the province. Some of the key motions that we’ll be discussing address the:
- Ontario Referendum question on Mixed Member Proportional Representation
- inadequacy of the international students health insurance plan
- need for information-collection on student voter data
- endorsement for the September Anti-Poverty march
- Don’t Ask Don’t Tell campaign in support of immigrant and refugee rights
- need to lobby provincial government for ‘campus greening’ initiatives that work towards a zero emissions standard
- Security and Prosperity Partnership and further economic and security integration with the United States (aka Deep Integration)
- Ontario Labour Federation’s Equal Pay Coalition
Although some may cringe a little at the thought of sitting through an AGM- let alone one that lasts four days- I’m feeling really excited about the positive directions, and changes proposed for the upcoming meeting. The meeting is one of many important connections that link us (as students at Guelph) to the creativity, ideas, and sheer numbers of other students across the province, amplifying student voices to promote accessible and high-quality education as a foundation for social justice.
One of the great things about organizing with other students is that it creates opportunities for each of us to step out of the bubble of our own community of consciousness, and get exposed to politics that are informed by experiences beyond our own. This is one of the reasons why collective organizing is so valuable; by being open to organizing as students, as youth, and as human beings, we not only offer important windows into each other’s realities, but also endow each other with the power to create urgently needed positive changes. I’m deeply excited to meet, share, and discuss with people at this upcoming meeting, and would love to get in contact with anyone interested in talking and sharing ideas or plans of action regarding any of the motions listed above. If you’re interested in getting involved as a delegate or by organizing closer to home, or just want to learn more, please feel free to email me at or call me at 519-824-4120 ext. 58328.