You can vote! Guelph Municipal Elections FAQ

Thursday, November 9, 2006


Written by Jennifer Schneider

Who, me?
Yes! Students living away from home can vote both in their permanent municipality and in the municipality where they attend college or university.

Monday, November 13th, 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Elect the Mayor of Guelph, Guelph City Council and school board trustees.

What else?
There is also a referendum question on the ballot asking if you are in favour of retaining the ward system as the current method of electing city councilors. In the ward system, one or more councilors are elected to represent each area of Guelph versus an at large system where all councilors are elected by a general vote. For more info, visit Guelph Votes

Because some issues may affect you, such as: Guelph transit, student bus passes, bike lanes, water, growth management and Wet/Dry recycling.

Call the City Clerk's Office at 519-837-5603 or go to the Clerk’s office at Guelph City Hall located downtown at 59 Carden Street. Staff will check to see if you are registered to vote and get you on the list if you're not.

Can I register when I show up to vote?
Yes. Just make sure you bring proof of your Guelph address (i.e. bills sent to you in Guelph) and at least one piece of photo identification.

If you live on campus and within Ward 5, you can vote in the University Centre on November 13th between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. Otherwise, contact the City Clerk’s Office (519-837-5603) to find out where you vote based on the ward you live in.

What’s my ward?
Check the ward map here The majority of students are located throughout Ward 5 which includes the university campus.

More questions?
Find all the answers by clicking on Guelph Votes

| More


Back to Top

No comments

Share your thoughts

Bookstore First Year