What shall we do today (on a budget)?
Thursday, July 12, 20120 Comments
Written by Gabrielle Dickert
There are certain advantages to attending university in the town you grew up in. For instance, you’re able to answer the age-old question: what in the world can I do in this town? As many financially unstable students can tell you, there’s a period in our lives between paying all of our bills and our next paycheque. During this time, we have no money and therefor nothing to do. While the length of this period may vary from person to person, the fact is, we all need to find something to do while we’re broke. I decided to ask the most reliable source, the people of Facebook, how they spend their inexpensive outings and have compiled a list of some popular things to do when funds are running low.
1. Have a picnic at Riverside park. During the summer, the leaves are green, the river is flowing, tons of geese are running a muck begging for your food – it’s a glorious time.
2. Tuesday’s are a good day to go out this summer with half priced movie nights at the Galaxy, $15 car loads at Mustang Drive-In and $10 all night billiards at Tony’s.
3. The Boathouse is a great place to go on a hot summer day. Rent a canoe or kayak and paddle along Speed River.
4. Go on a day trip over to Guelph Lake. Take advantage of the great weather and head on over to the local beach for a cool swim.
5. Wednesday’s are bingo days! Head on over to the Guelph Legion at 7pm for a night of fun filled excitement, bingo and barbeque.
6. GO TO THE DONKEY SANCTUARY! Sorry for the caps; but seriously. Go check it out.
7. If you have a lot of friends willing to get together, why not organize a game of baseball, tennis or even volleyball at one of Guelph’s many recreational facilities.
The fact is, being bored is a personal decision. If you find yourself constantly streaming YouTube and Netflix videos instead of going outside enjoying the beautiful weather, just know that you’re missing out on exploring this magnificent city. On rainy days, why not invite some friends over for baking and board games? Guelph also has a variety of museums you can attend both alone, or with friends. Even just going for a walk through some of the city’s nature trails is a great way to spend your time. No matter what you had planned on doing today, just remember to get up, go out and don’t let the summer pass you by – September will be here before you know it.