Board Nominations- OPIRG
February 14 - March 4
As a non-profit organization OPIRG is directed by a group of student and community Board members. These members are democratically elected for 1 or 2 year terms and serve as the main decision-making body for the organization.
There is no experience requirement for being on the Board, however you do need:
- to be an OPIRG member (all full time undergrad and graduate students who have not received a levy refund are members or communitity who has paid for a membership up to 10 days following the election)
- be passionate about social and environmental justice and willing to uphold our mandate
- to make a commitment of 6 hours per week
- to be committed to learning about and confronting the many forms of oppression
- to be willing to work cooperatively with the Board, staff and other volunteers
- to have an interest in understanding how non-profits work, including staff/employer relations, policies and finances
- have a desire to develop new skills - OPIRG organizes a wide range of trainings for Board members, including financial management, facilitation and human resources management
-to be willing to take on the responsibilities required of a Board member (see Board Rights and Responsibilities Policy).
OPIRG especially encourages the contributions and experience that individuals from marginalized communities can bring to the organization. OPIRG is dedicated to creating a work and volunteer environment that respects and supports the diverse experiences and contributions of all our members.
In order to be elected to the Board candidates need to complete the Nomination/Application form and return it no later than Tuesday March 4th at Midnight. All candidates will also be asked to complete a "Candidate Profile" that will be posted on the OPIRG website so members can learn about the candidates. Finally, the candidates will also get an election orientation from the OPIRG Elections Organizer.
Forms can be downloaded from the OPIRG-Guelph website.
Nomination Forms are due by March 4th at midnight